Sunday, November 2, 2008

Triple Play / Doubt / Defiance


Well, Triple Play came and went and wow was it something. I have gotten excellent feedback from several people, and it is very interesting hearing what people thought my play was about, contrasted to what I thought it was about. It was a pleasure to act in David's "beautiful" play, and I thank him most heartily for giving me the chance to produce it. And Rob, Rob was always wonderful, his play excellent, and I must applaud any man who is eccentric enough to produce something with me. The cast was excellent, and I really felt like they helped my play to sing. DiAnna and Darren brought their unbelievable professionalism, and Sonia and Chris brought a youthful energy so vital when you enter a show a week before it goes up. And Chris had a fantastic stage debut. We were able to get an audio recording and photographs from William Zane Lawrence. And we even made a little money! The whole experience was so incredible, and so rewarding. Thanks to all who came and who wanted to come. And lastly, a HUGE thanks to the Asheville Arts Center for the use of their space. I encourage you to check out the many amazing programs they have there for people of all ages. 


I also saw two different John Patrick Shanley at North Carolina Stage Company. First I saw Defiance as a part of their ForPlay series, and then Doubt, their first mainstage production for the year.

I really enjoyed Defiance, which coincidently featured Callan White-Hinman, the Theatre professor at Montreat College where I will be attending next spring. The play was so simple (especially as a reading) but effective, which was very helpful for me to watch, and really listen to as a young playwright. Hopefully it will help me plow through some of the issues I'm having with some of my own work. 

I also liked Doubt, which I saw later that week. Some very interesting themes explored, and a very beautiful production. I can't wait to see the third play in the trilogy Shanley is writing (Of which Doubt and Defiance are the first two thirds). And for the record, no, I don't think the priest did anything wrong. If he was hiding something, he would have done a better job of hiding his guilt, and Sister Aloysius was far too much of a bitch to earn my sympathy or trust.

As some of you know, I recently wrote a two part verse play for No Shame Theatre based on the greek myth of Atalanta called "Atlanta The Ballsy." Strangely enough, my Atlanta, Trinity Smith, is playing Atalanta in the UNCA/NCSC production of the musical "Free To Be You And Me." Funny how that works out.

In other news, I will be playing the Ghost of Christmas Present and Man #5 in the Montford Park Player's 3 billionth production of "A Christmas Carol." Come and see it! 

Also, I am going to suspend my vlog, but try to continue with my blog. I may not always have the camera with me that I use to film the vlog, so maybe it's for the better. 

No comments: