Sunday, January 18, 2009

Oedipus for Kids!


I recently saw the opening night of Zealot's production of "Oedipus for Kids!," which was a part of the Catalyst Series. The Catalyst series is an outreach made by North Carolina Stage Company where smaller theatre production companies get a chance to perform in their space. "Oedipus for Kids!" is a musical in which a fictional children's theatre company attempts to stage a musical version of "Oedipus Rex" for kids! (Pretty straight forward). Conventional (non-professional) theatre wisdom dictates that going to see a show's opening night is a bad idea. Community theatre does not have the benefits that allows professional theatre more immediate polish (such as a preview period, extended rehearsal time, etcetera). I had to go against this convention for the simple reason of my insane pace of getting ready for college made it necessary to go see the show early if I was going to see it all. Fortunatly, I needn't have worried. The show was wonderful. My friends (and cast mates in "Titus Andronicus") were excellent. Rae Cauthen, Greg R-Gassler, and Joseph Barcia really knew how to sell the story of "Oedipus" to us "children" in the audience. I felt that in some ways the comedy and vocal work could have used some fine tuning, but it did not detract from enjoyment of the show. I look foward to the next show produced by Zealot, and I really appriciate their thoughtful selection of material for the Asheville audience. It is very nice to see such a quirky New York musical straight from New York here in Asheville stimulating our artistic vocabulary. Ladies and gentlemen, the musical is not dead, you have just stopped visiting. Thank you Zealot.

No comments: