Monday, January 5, 2009

MontRunyon

Sometimes, walking the streets of downtown Asheville, I create a fantastic sense of location. I transport my self to a place that exists in my fantasia and lay it over my rather 2+2=4 sense of the world. I feel myself come alive with an idea, something from deep in my personal ball of light. The ball of light that we all know is there, and that which we see by, but we cannot look at, because it blinds us with its brilliance. The world I want, intersects with the world I have, and the feeling created is bliss. In the musical "Guys & Dolls," the overture is actually a choreographed piece called "Runyonland." The musical takes the wonderful world of New York presented in the stories of Damon Runyon, and turns it into an exciting whirl of the type of people who are a part of the everyday, and in doing so, makes them not everyday. But today they were a part of my day. As I was driving to the library, I saw a man pushing a hand truck full of paper. He nodded to a passing stranger and smiled as he pushed his hand truck over the sidewalk. It was at this moment that I was apart of Runyonland, or, in this town, MontRunyon. The world of those happy people using the light to the rhythm of that fantastic music suddenly filled me, and I was a part of it.

This fantastic sensation only lasted for a moment, for I was soon brought down by the realization that the man might actually have been grimacing at the weight of pushing his hand truck, and opposed to smiling at the beauty of the world.

But maybe, he was.

No comments: