Monday, September 8, 2008

Bard-A-Thon

Photobucket Image Hosting

This weekend I participated in North Carolina Stage Company's Bard-A-Thon. Like a walk-a-thon, except with reading Shakespeare. I would have stuck around to read all 12 plays, except that I was opening Doctor Faustus, so I was e'er so slightly committed. All in all it was a complete blast.

First I read The Winter's Tale, reading Camillo and Time, a chorus part. Camillo was really fun, and I felt like I was able to stretch my acting muscles with him, as he has to make some really difficult decisions in the first act (which he almost carries). I wouldn't have been has fun if I didn't have such a wonderful Leontes and Polixenes to play off of. Mike Coughlin and *I think his name is Max* were both excellent. Time was an interesting experience, being the only one onstage speaking this God-like speech, and was definitely a great warm up for Feste. At the end, during Leontes happy ending speech, he turned to Rae's character and basically said, "Now I know you want to marry Camillo." Rae and I both looked at each other like Scooby-Doo. "Huh?" But now Rae and I are happily married. On facebook.

Next, at 4 in the morning was Macbeth. I was the Second Witch, and I also took on various other roles. Being that it was 4 A.M., I was a bit loopy, and every witch line came with a different accent. Carol Channing! Jewish Mother! Julia Cunningham! Harvey Fierstein! I also had a fabulous wig. By the time the apparition scene rolled around, I was ready to settle down (on the floor) and really have fun with the part of the witch. I then went home and slept.

The next day, I tackled the role of Puck in A Midsummer Night's Dream. This role has always been the dream role for me, and am very grateful to my new friend Bobby who let me take the part. It was a dream (haha), a beautiful beautiful dream. Jason was a fantastic Oberon, and it was great to be onstage with someone so willing to play around. I got a lot of laughs, and it was nothing short of bliss . . .

. . . until an audience member had a seizure. She was eventually fine, Rae was great at making sure she was ok until the EMTs came. Unfortunately, this meant I couldn't perform Puck's last speeches, so some of the dream has yet to be fully conquered. However, I was able to quietly recite the final speech for my fellow readers backstage, for which I received some discreet applause.

I decided to stick around for Titus Andronicus long enough to read Mutius, the son that says four lines in the first scene before getting kill by Titus (His douche bag daddy, played by Rob Taylor). I also read the lines of a few other sons, but not all of there lines before leaving. Again, I went home to sleep.

The next day, I decided to go to Bard-A-Thon instead of promoting Doctor Faustus at LAAFF for the simple reason that Bard-A-Thon was more fun (but I'm now blogging about Faustus, so it all evens out). I read the role of Feste in Twelfth Night, and I am so glad that I did. I almost dropped it, because I wasn't very familiar with the play, and felt slightly uncomfortable reading so great a role with so little understanding. But I have to say it was totally worth it. Acting with James and Mike was a delight, and I loved making up 5-6 songs on the spot (Well, one melody was pre-planned. "What is love? 'tis not hereafter;" became "WHAT IS LOVE?! Tis not hereAfter!"). The play (and in turn, the Bard-A-Thon) itself ends in a song of Feste's. I got all the way through the song, surrounded by audience, Charlie, and actors, took a breath, and sang,

"But that's all one, our play is done,
And we'll strive to please you every day."

And this huge wave of applause and joy came washing over me from everywhere as all rejoiced in the completed task. It was a magical moment to end the magical moments.

It was magic. Theatrical magic. Best way to describe it. I can't wait until next year, and hopefully I won't be opening a show so I can do it all! Kudos to NC Stage for creating such a great event.

Your fool, fairy, witch, lord, clock, son, captain, and servant,
Nathan.

No comments: