Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Kennedy Center Honors

The Kennedy Center Honors were announced this week. This year the recipients are as follows (also, my brief thoughts on them);

  • Morgan Freeman (Along Came A Spider, Lucius Fox)
  • George Jones (White Lightning)
  • Barbra Streisand (Funny Girl, a little uptight)
  • Twyla Tharp (Movin‘ Out, also a little uptight)
  • Pete Townsend (Tommy!)
  • Roger Daltrey (more Tommy!)

Now, I think we all know what’s wrong this picture. Wait, we don’t? Alright, I’ll explain.

Photobucket Image Hosting

Jerry Herman has yet to receive a Kennedy Center Honor, which I believe is a huge oversight. His work as a musical playwright is a remarkable achievement that has shaped American culture and stands as an amazing catalogue of song. In addition to writing the score to “Hello Dolly!”, he also wrote the scores to “Mame” (We Need A Little Christmas), and “La Cage Aux Folles” (I Am What I Am). His lesser known work is also amazing, such as the scores to “Dear World”, “Milk & Honey”, “Mack & Mabel”, and “Parade” (an off-Broadway revue).

I will also point out that Andrew Lloyd Webber has received an Honor, and not only is he British (and already a knight), but didn’t start writing professionally until 14 years after Jerry Herman.

Now I know it’s not a huge deal, nothing to get too upset over. But I would like to see him receive an Honor before he dies. He is HIV positive. (Nick and I have a theory that it’s all the good karma of the happy show tunes that’s keeping him alive, you never know). But anyways, those are my thoughts for today.

Your sunflower,
Nathan.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I second that. In my opinion all the songs Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote combined can't compare with "I won't send Roses"