Tuesday, September 23, 2008

No Shame September 2008

This month was a great month for No Shame, and I had a lot of fun. I was kind of nervous about this No Shame, but it turned out to be great.

Both I and (friend and fellow thespian) Rob (Taylor) had pieces cast with people from Doctor Faustus. Rob's piece went over really well, it was a continuation of the stories of the sexual active men and women created in the piece "Buried or Stuffed". It's like a farce driven Sex and the City, minus one girl and the posh atmosphere, and plus three men who have equal (or greater) force in the drama.

My piece was called Atlanta the Ballsy: Part One, and is the first part in a two part verse play, the second half of which I will present at next month's No Shame. The story is a modern retelling of the Greco-Roman myth of Atalanta, specifically focusing on the actual race story. Trinity Smith was my Atlanta, and she was (as usual) fantastic. I played a part in my own piece as Apollo, the god of truth. There are a lot of riffs on Christopher Marlowe in the play, partially due to the fact that I am currently in a Marlowe play (One more weekend, come see it!). The piece went over really well, and I hope I can pull it off again for Part Two.

The Redundant Theatre Company Theatre presented a dance selection from their new show "700 Stories About Love And One Really Big Reason To Quit", which is going up at NC Stage for the next two weekends. Their selection was funny and entertaining, and I can't wait to see the show. The leaving tenant, "The Songs of Robert", also presented a selection from their show, and it was (as the first time) hilarious.

There were a lot of really good pieces, and the evening was really polished. While this is really great, I also hope that this doesn't keep new people from contributing to No Shame. The whole point of No Shame is to develop talent and have fun! I'm not too worried about this, just reflecting. I've heard many whispers making No Shame more frequent, to which I can only say here-here!
(Photo by William Zane)

He who loves No Shame,
Nathan.

No comments: